Have you ever thought about having your children present at their siblings birth? I am adding to my birth services an option to hire a Sibling Doula. AKA a support nanny for your child or children. You can relax knowing your other children are cared for while you labor and birth.
Not everyone has extended family nearby that can be available at all hours. I personally had my children present at their siblings home births with a dear friend. Not everyone is comfortable with the birth process and can be nurturing and explain the process as it unfolds. That is where myself or one of my trained Sibling Doulas comes in.
What is a SIBLING DOULA?
Have you thought about Including your children in your birth plan? It is an amazing way for them to begin their relationship with their new sibling. When they attend their sibling’s birth, older siblings feel like they are a part of the process while feeling less jealousy and more autonomy.
Most hospitals, birth centers, and home birth midwives request that you have a support person there for your child if you plan on having them at your birth. As a sibling doula, we provide:
- A three hour in-home date night session to read books, watch a short movie, look at some of my birth photos, and get to know your child(ren) to help prepare for your birth and new family member while you take the evening for yourself (if you want!).
- Continuous emotional support for your child(ren) during labor + delivery
- Child-friendly explanations of your labor + delivery
- The ability for you and your birth partner/support person to focus on your labor without having to worry about your kiddo(s)
- A few photos during your labor, delivery, and postpartum hours, unless you have hired me as your birth photographer
- A one hour postpartum follow up with your children to work on the transition to big sibling-hood.